Skip to main content

Potty Training Sven: Day One

Statistics

Number of accidents: 12
Times ended on the potty: 3
Times started on the potty: 0
Times self-initiated: 0
Times peed on Mom: 2
Ounces of Tang consumed: 20

Thoughts

I took the plunge and began potty training today.  My intention is to be really hard core about it for the next two weeks and if it doesn't stick ... well, then I guess we'll be waiting until next year.  So it's now or never.  Hopefully now.

This is how my day went:

7:30 am - I'm getting Sven up for the day and, since I'm still not committed to this potty training thing, leaving him in his nighttime diaper.
8:00 am - Breakfast is over and I'm sticking Sven in the tub, then calling my friend for an hour long pep talk.
9:00 am - I'm getting Sven out of the tub and deciding to use the bare butt method, mostly because I don't want to go get my 18 mo underwear from the storage unit.
10:30 am - I'm rejoicing because I have "caught" 2 of Sven's pees mid-stream and helped him to end on the potty.  I think: he's getting it!
10:45 am - I'm changing into my last clean pair of jeans because I have been peed on.
11:00 am - I'm not changing my pants even though I have just been peed and pooped on.
11:10 am - We're going to play outside.  Sven has a sweater, knee high socks, and a bare butt.
12:00 am - We're coming back in for lunch.  Sven has had two accidents while outside
12:15 am - Huzzah!  Another hit!
1:00 pm - I'm putting Sven into a diaper and down for a nap.  I'm so glad to have a break from watching his butt.
3:50 pm - Sven is waking; I'm de-diapering him and taking him to the potty for a dry run.
4:00 pm - I'm sending all children out to play and informing Sven that he can join them after he goes pee.
5:00 pm - I'm bringing all children inside.  Sven still hasn't peed
5:20 pm - Sven pees in a box of play dough! Gross!
7:00 pm - I'm putting Sven into a diaper and to bed; he's peed on the floor 3 more times and doesn't care.  We've had no success since naptime but I'm feeling optimistic about tomorrow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.