Skip to main content

The Tandem Bike

One morning last week, Soren was helping me to dry the breakfast dishes and telling me about his new dream.

"Tandem bikes are really cool.  I would really like to have a tandem bike."

"That does sound nice," I said, absently.

Soren continued, "Carl and I could ride together on a tandem bike.  It would be so fun."  He sounded so wistful and for a moment, I could almost see his vision.  I could just picture him and Carl, riding happily together down the driveway with the sunlight glinting around the corners of my mind's eye.  It was such a happy scene.  Oh, if only Soren could have a tandem bike, then the world would be a brighter place.

"Will you get me a tandem bike?"  he asked.

"No," I replied, casting the dream aside.  "That's not how I choose to spend my money."  

We kept drying dishes and I figured that was the end of it.  When the counters were clean, Soren hurried off to go draw something and I started folding laundry.

"How do you order something from a company?"  Soren asked from the table.

Thinking this was a completely new and unrelated topic, I answered, "Well, when I was a kid, you would send an order in the mail.  But now-a-days you usually just order on the internet."

He kept working quietly.

After a few minutes of busily coloring at the table, Soren asked, "Can I have an envelope?"

And that was when I put it together.  "Why do you want an envelope?" I asked cautiously.

"To mail something," was his cryptic reply.  So I got up and came to the table to see what he had been working on.  There I saw this drawing (which confirmed my suspicions):

"Soren," I began, "if you mail this to a bike company, they will not be able to send you a bike because you didn't send them any money."

"That's ok.  I will send them my allowance!"  He hurried to his room to get his piggy bank.

"But you do not have enough money to buy a tandem bike."

"Well, would you give me some more money?"

"I will give you your June allowance in a few days but even then you will not have enough money to buy a tandem bike."  

It hurt watching the hope die in his eyes.

"Well, maybe you could give me a bigger allowance?"  he tried.  

"No, Soren, I'm sorry.  That's just not in my budget."

Not one to be deterred, Soren came up with a new plan.  "I have an idea.  I could borrow some money from someone else!"  And he got his shoes from the closet and began to put them on.

"Who are you going to ask?" I wondered.

"Sister Cowart," he replied.  Well, that seemed all right.  Sister Cowart was my best friend so I wouldn't be too embarrassed to have my son go begging at her door.  I also knew that she was a good enough friend not to be embarrassed either but to help me in this teaching moment.  It seemed like a good opportunity for him to learn that money wasn't easy to come by.  So off he went, hopes high.

I later asked my friend about the encounter.  She said he gave an amazing sales pitch.  But he came back home empty handed and rather teary-eyed.  I held out an arm to him and he snuggled up against me, looking so forlorn.

"Oh, Soren," I sighed.  "I really wish I could buy you a tandem bike.  I think it would be so fun.  Unfortunately, it is just not in our budget."

"Could you do the budgeting today?" he pleaded, seeing a possible loophole.

"Actually, I was planning on doing the budgeting today but I am not going to change our budget.  It doesn't work like that,"  I explained.  "If I budgeted enough money to buy a tandem bike for you, I would not be able to save money for our family to buy a house someday."

At that, his eyes lit back up.  "I have a great idea!" he exclaimed.  "We don't have to buy a house!  We could live here forever!"

"No, Soren.  Someday we will move into a house and I am saving money for that right now."  I wanted to close this conversation for good so I added emphatically, "I am not going to give you money for a tandem bike."

At that, he began to cry.  Real tears!  I felt so sad for him.  He had patiently and persistently tried every tactic he could think of to obtain, what seemed to him, a worthy goal.  It even seemed a worthy goal to me!  Against my better judgement, I began to wish that I was filthy rich and could buy him a tandem bike.  I wanted to make his wild dream come true.  Instead I held him on my lap while he cried.

He cried pretty hard for about 5 minutes then he got back up and went to play.  He has mentioned the tandem bike a few times since then but never with the same intensity.  

Just this morning, he suggested that he could tape his bike together with Carl's to make a tandem bike.  But he didn't end up doing it.  Which is good because that sounded a little dangerous.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
OMG, I so want to buy them a tandem bike! Tell him you don't have room to store one right now, but when you buy a house and have a garage, we will give him a tandem bike!
mk said…
This broke my heart. I dont want my boys to grow up. But good parenting, I am proud of you.

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.