Skip to main content

What Works for Us: Room Time

I've decided to do a new series of posts on how I make parenting work for us. Every parent does it differently--which is great!--but I have a hard time keeping my discoveries to myself. The things I do may not work for anyone else but I want to record them and remember them. Hopefully, it will also help me vent my soap-box-y-ness so that I'm not always imposing my ideas on other people. That will be what "What-Works-for-Us Posts" are about.

One of the things that we have always done, but has made a HUGE difference in the move from one to two children, is Room Time. When Soren was 6 months old, I started having him play alone (in a safe place) every day for a few minutes. At first it was only five minutes in the port-a-crib but we quickly worked up to fifteen, then thirty. At that time, I used those precious minutes to do housework or relax on the couch. When I was pregnant with Carl, Soren would play alone for about an hour in his room and I would usually take a much-needed, baby-making nap.

By the time Carl came along, Soren was accustomed to entertaining himself for a little time every day. I moved that solo play time to Carl's most alert time during the day so that I could devote most of my attention to Carl when he was most awake. Then, when Carl was napping, I could devote most of my attention to Soren.

Of course there are times when they both need me at once. However, teaching Soren to entertain himself makes those times much less frequent. I also feel that adding the new baby was a less drastic change in Soren's life because of solo play. He has never displayed any jealousy towards his brother. I think that's because he has his own time and space. There are times when he has space and toys all to himself (with no crying, grabbing brother to interrupt) and there are times when he has me all to himself. The time he shares with Carl is more fun for him because he feels secure in his routine. They actually interact with each other and act very happy to see one another, something that I am very glad to see.

Now I am starting to enforce solo play for Carl and he is developing those same skills. I think he enjoys having the toy box to himself, working slowly but surely towards his favorites, secure in the knowledge that noone can come and snatch them up. Solo play is only about 10 minutes for Carl and it will be a long time before he can safely move to his room but I know that it will be worth it. Because this is something that definitely works for us.

Comments

Jennie said…
Ohh I am excited to hear all about these!
Hannah said…
I think solo play is wonderful and I hope to try to implement that when Ben is old enough to play. Nate always played on his own, just because he's like that...so I'm not sure how to intentionally get this one going. Thanks for the tips!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.