Skip to main content

ABCs

A couple of months ago I was trying to encourage Soren to draw. For 15 or 20 minutes every afternoon, we would sit at the coffee table with paper and pencil. I would draw stick figures and doodles; Soren would watch, his own paper untouched. After a couple of days repeating my usual pictures over and over, I ran out of ideas and started writing the letters of his name. One day I wrote and drew pictures of all the things I could think of that began with S: Soren, snake, superman, spider, stars, etc. The next day we focused on the letter O. It gave me ideas for drawing, which kept Soren entertained even if it wasn't fulfilling its original purpose.

A couple more weeks went by and I didn't put any effort into reinforcing the letters. So I was very surprised when, one day while reading a naptime story, he pointed to the page and said very distinctly, "ess". He was, in fact, pointing to an S. And he was very excited about it. So, instead of reading the book, we spent a few minutes looking through the pages for more letters.

Later that day, he brought me a pen and peice of paper, directed my hand to the page, and watched while I wrote the letters of his name. He quickly learned S, O, R, E, and D and began pointing them out everywhere we went. While driving in the car, I would hear him identifying letters on billboards. When reading a book, he would stop me often to show me an S or an O (which are easy to find because they are the same in capital and lowercase). At the grocery store, he pointed out letters on the packaging and on our morning walks, he would want to know the names for every symbol on every liscence plate we saw.

Now he knows the whole alphabet, at least all the capital letters. His favorites are Q and W. I don't know why he should have favorite letters but he always smiles and laughs when identifying those letters. He has a hard time saying L and Y; he recognizes those symbols but can only vaguely approximate the sounds.

It's probably silly and unnecessary that he learned the alphabet so young but it was completely driven by his own excitement and interest. It amuses me now to see him sitting by himself with a peice of paper, happily writing away on it and saying out loud the names of the letters he is trying to write. He covers the page in discrete scribbles while saying "R, Q, K, M, S ..."

Comments

Mrs. Jaybird said…
I think it's WONDERFUL he knows his alphabet this early! I think you're wonderful and have a lot of patience to help him learn this. Thank you for sharing this experience and showing ME how I can begin to teach Copeland his alphabet. Did he ever learn to draw? Or was it just that he'd watch you write?
Oozaroo said…
He's brilliant! I miss him!
Brianna said…
Wow! I can't believe he is already learning his alphabet before he is even two! That is amazing! I think you have a smart cookie on your hands!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.