Skip to main content

When I Became a Mother

I remember the day I found out I was pregnant. It was a Tuesday and, although Scott and I were trying for a baby, I was not expecting it at all.

When I got home from school, a few hours before Scott, I walked to the grocery store and bought a two-pack of pregnancy tests. I took the test and watched the indicator's window as a plus sign quickly materialized there. I could not believe how blessed we were! We were going to have a baby.


The first thing I thought was "hooray!" Then I started shaking. My mind was racing. I didn't know if I was ready to be a good mother. I didn't know if I would regret it. I was pregnant now and from that point on, I would always be a mother. I wanted a child so much but I was frightened of the change as well.

I called Scott and told him. He said, "That's wonderful!" and I started crying, from joy and stress I think. My whole body was quivering inside and I wanted him to come home and hold me, calm me down, and then dream about our little one with me. I asked him to leave early. He ditched his English class and rushed home. He folded me in his arms for a long hug, then stepped back and gently put his hand on my stomach. Deep inside my uterus, Soren was already growing. We sat together on the foot of our bed and talked about the future. We talked about how happy we were and how our child was a blessing that would change our whole lives. That day, we agreed that if it was a girl, we would name her Freya and if it was a boy, we would name him Soren.

And now little Soren is here with us. I carried him in my body for nine months (a time that passed more and more slowly as it neared the end) and I've watched over him since he joined our home seven months ago. I am still not sure I'm absolutely ready to be the perfect mom, but he's taught me how to care for him and what he likes best. I love him, and that's all that really matters. I have never regretted adding him to our family, no matter how cranky or difficult he gets. My joy has increased beyond its previous maximum capacity; I love nothing better than to be happy with both Soren and Scott. And I am sure that more children will add even more to that joy.

I hope that we can bring little Freya to join us soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.