Skip to main content

On the Day You were Born

Dear Soren,

I remember the day you were born. I had been waiting for you to come a long time. All the doctors and nurses, all my friends and family, kept telling your father and I that we should expect you any day but I guess you just liked where you were. It must have been pretty cozy and although we tried all the tricks, we couldn't think of a way to coax you out. You wanted to pick your own time. And finally, after months of carrying, weeks of waiting, and hours of pushing, you were in my arms. You were the most beautiful baby in the world on that day. You were surrounded by people who loved you and wanted to welcome you into the world. I wanted to whisper in your ear, "Congratulations! We did it!" It was a journey that you and I took together and now I was so excited to show everyone the beautiful boy I had been carrying in my body for so long.

You were so small! Every feature was so tiny and perfect: your little hands and ears, your tiny feet and nose. And yet, I couldn't believe how huge you were! I couldn't imagine how you had ever fit inside of me. It must have been so snug. Pregnancy and birthing are miracles, son. The ability to conceive and bear a child is Heavenly Father's gift of trust to His spirit daughters and it was a privilege for your father and I to participate in bringing you, a choice son of God, into the world. I was impressed by that the day you were born. Your enormous, valiant spirit could hardly fit in your precious, tiny body. I knew that being your mother would be a blessing and joy.

Your father was rushing back from a final exam when you were born. He got there in time to see you on the examining table and to stay with you as they suctioned fluid out of your lungs. He said you were very angry about the tubes--I think you wanted to use your own lungs. You certainly could wail if you wanted to. Thankfully, they got you all cleaned out and cleaned up, after which your disposition improved markedly.

Your Grandma Berg was there at your birth. She said you were an unusually alert baby. You did stay awake most of the time. Most of the time you were quiet and loved to look around at everyone and everything. Your honorary aunts Monique and Jennie came to welcome you. They love you too and are excited to watch you grow into a handsome young man. Your Aunt Brianna and Uncles Timmy and Brinton were there. Everyone got to hold you close. I loved to share you with them but I was always glad when you came back to mine or your father's arms.

Love, Your Mom

Comments

mk said…
Soren,

When your parents called me the day you were born I was so excited I couldn't contain myself. I dropped everything I was doing and sped to the hospital to meet you. I was surprised to find that, against the expectations of your father, you were really a beautiful little baby. The next time I saw you, only 10 days later, was the day of my wedding. I hope you know that I will never let you forget that you peed on me that morning. I can't wait until you are old enough to talk, and to recognize me. I'm so grateful you were born!

Love,

Aunt Monique

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.