Skip to main content

The Second Year: Cognitive Development

What the heck does cognitive development even mean?  Wikipedia says it relates to "information processing" and "language development"; I guess in this post, I'm using it to mean "stuff people think makes a kid smart".  Traditionally academic knowledge, like numbers and letters. 

Soren is really good at this kind of stuff; he's great at memorizing sounds and recognizing symbols.  Of all the areas of development, this is the one Soren really excells in.  He doesn't understand the abstract implications associated with the symbols, but he retains the more concrete connections well, storing them away for future use.

Soren can:
* count to 12
* recite his alphabet forwards and backwards!
* recognize all the letters and numbers
* recognize all the major shapes
* remember the text from his favorite books
* remember the words of favorite primary songs
* identify conifer trees

He's getting to the point where it's pretty easy to teach him stuff.  He's picking up new words and concepts much quicker this month than he ever has before.  Right now, we're working on colors, though, which is turning out to be too abstract for him.  He just thinks that the markers are called "brown" (or, alternatively, "pink").  I think after colors, we will move on to recognizing pictures of family members.  We need to practice for visiting family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

February 10 - 16

* I thoroughly enjoyed reading Skyward. * Soren beat Megaman 1 without dying. * Carl was swamped with art homework.  His teacher assigned him 5 mini-paintings, 30 gradients, and 1 shading. * Sven finished reading the Frog and Toad  treasury. * Leif talked a lot about wanting to make a friend. * Richard got to listen to lots and lots of read-a-louds.