Skip to main content

Friday Favorites

1. Church on Sunday was so refreshing.  I've never felt so desperate for the spiritual nourishment of the gospel--or so relieved to receive it.  The hymns, especially, were a great source of comfort.
2. Asa and Sara, from our ward, came to visit me on Sunday afternoon.  We had a lovely conversation and then they took Toby away for a dog vacation.  They are planning to help me train Toby as a potential service dog--or at least a helpful dog for Scott.  Asa also says that he will help get the attic finished for Scott before he comes home from the hospital.  I am so grateful for their friendship.
3. When I went to visit Scott Sunday night, he had his eyes open.  He was moving the hand that I held and opened his eyes really wide whenever I left his field of vision.  I was so happy to see him awake--and every day he got a little more alert.
4. Monday, the kids and I went back to our normal routine.  We still have a bit of homeschool to finish up before Midsummer and it felt good to work with them again.  It brought me a rush of pleasure to watch them make music, read capably, and figure out tricky problems.  Scott and I have made some pretty cool kids and I couldn't be prouder of them.
5. Also on Monday, our college friend Monique came.  She stayed three days and spent most of her time up at the hospital, watching and talking with Scott.  It was really great to see her and I was grateful to know that Scott wasn't being left alone while he was returning to consciousness.
6. I talked to the nurse practitioner with neurology on Monday and she said so many hopeful things that I was giddy.  When I came home, a friend brought me dinner and flowers; I think I startled her with my exuberance.  But when you think your husband might be incapacitated for the rest of his life and an expert tells you that he could potentially get his functioning back--well, that's pretty heady stuff.
7. On Tuesday, when the kids and I went to the library, Carl brought his big jar of savings and paid off the big replacement fee on his card for the "How to Train Your Dragon" playaway that has been missing for almost six months.  I was really proud of him and he was excited to have a clear account that could check out anything again.  The librarian felt really bad taking his money; she gave him a receipt and told him that if he ever found the playaway he could get his money back.  We were certain that would never happen but ...
8. On Thursday, I got the little harp out from behind the red sofa so I could take it to the hospital and I found the playaway!  Carl was so excited.  He said it was the *best* day ever.  He danced around the house for an hour.  It was wonderful to see him so exuberant.
9. Back to Tuesday: Scott got the neck brace off and could finally have a shave!  He looks so much better without the horrible, scruffy facial hair.
10. Wednesday was the 12th day since Scott's accident and I thought he would appreciate a priesthood blessing on that, the symbolically significant day.  His dad and brother-in-law came to the hospital in the afternoon and gave him a beautiful blessing.  Rich said so very many hopeful things that I have held close to my heart ever since.  And after the blessing, I got to spend a lot of time alone with Scott.  It was the first time I really felt sure that he knew me and loved me, that he was glad I was there.
11. I have listened to a lot of mormon channel radio, which has soothed me.
12. My mom took the kids to Union Dairy and the park.  They rode the carousel for the first time this season.
13. I met with Brother Knox and Brother Ashe from Scott's lodge on Thursday.  They gave us some money on behalf of the brotherhood and have arranged for our lawn to be cut every week until Scott is able to do it himself.  I'm really glad Scott is a free mason--and they are really glad to be doing something meaningful.  
14. Speaking of masons, Brother Varner in Utah sent Scott a Scottish Rite ring to replace the one that was broken when he fell.  This one is made of real gold and will never break.  The Wasatch lodge also sent cards and some money.
15. The swelling in Scott's hands is gone, so I gave him back his wedding ring.  I had been wearing it around my neck for about a week.
16. The kids went to see Captain Underpants with my mom, which they thoroughly enjoyed.  They spent a good half hour after dinner flicking underwear at each other and singing "Tra-la-la!"
17. On Friday, Asa came to visit Scott and brought his service dog, Gideon.  When Asa walked into the hospital room, Scott's whole face lit up.  It was the first real smile I've seen from him since the accident; even his eyes crinkled.  It was the most beautiful thing I have seen all week.
18. The second most beautiful thing: Leif's face every time I come home from the hospital.  He is so happy to see me and rushes up to give me a big hug.  It has been especially hard to leave Scott this week because he is conscious and confused; Leif's hugs on the other side of the parting help a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk