Skip to main content

Midsummer 2015

I have long wanted our family's midsummer festival to be a celebration of balance.  My motto every year has been: "Just enough is more."  I have tried to pare back on the excess in my life and make more room for the simple pleasures.

But this year, I took to heart more than I ever have before.  Something clicked and I finally "got it".  I was so excited to slow down and do less--not just for the weekend camping trip but for the whole summer!  Maybe even for my whole life.

So I made a list of things that I was going to give up for Midsummer.  I wanted to make more time in my life by doing less stuff.  For starters, I was going to be done with homeschool after Midsummer, whether or not we finished our reading list.  Also, I was going to forgive my chore and blog post back log.  And I decided to take a break from potty training Sven and put him back in diapers for the summer.  Plus, midsummer marks the beginning of our media-free summers, which is always nice.  But the big thing I planned to give up was middle of the night feedings.  No more feeding Leif in the middle of the night.  I planned to give myself the gift of more sleep.

So with all that to look forward to, I was eager for Midsummer to come.  And now that I'm on the other side of it, I have to say: it's nice.  My burden is lighter and I have time to do different and important things.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  This is what our family did to celebrate Midsummer:

1.  This midsummer was our first holiday in our new home.  That meant we had to find a new camping spot!  While we missed the solitude of going to Topaz Mountain, it was fun to try a new spot.  We went to Apple Canyon, which was shady and green.

2. We did finish our schoolwork before Midsummer's Eve.  It took a few long mornings the week before to blaze through the end of Soren's math workbook and catch up on a few Ambleside Online readings.  But pulling away from the house on Friday evening, knowing that homeschool was over for a season, was wonderfully freeing.

3. It was Leif's first camping trip.  He was happy riding around on my hip for two days.

4. We taught the kids to identify poison ivy, something that was unnecessary at our desert campsite in Utah.  And while looking through the underbrush around our site, we found lots and lots of daddy long-legs.  Soren and Carl enjoyed watching them and kept calling Scott over to see when they found more.

5. We went fishing.  We didn't catch anything but we all enjoyed sitting by the water.  We saw a pair of bald eagles nesting up on the canyon wall.


6. Soren finished his knitting project: a blanket for his stuffed rabbit.  It is made of bright orange yarn with reflective threads wound in, which I think looks ridiculous but the older boys think is super cool.  They especially enjoyed the way it "glows in the dark".

7. Speaking of dark, Scott built a fire after sundown, and we roasted hot dogs.  The stars were beautiful but we were all most excited about the fireflies.  I had forgotten just how magical they are.  The whole area was full of their little twinkling lights, like stars floating down from the sky to play peek-a-boo in the trees.

8.  In the morning, Scott made a heroic effort to make us another fire with all our damp wood.  I was grateful for that because I needed fire for my own personal ritual: the burning of my list.  I wrote down all the things I was letting go of for a season and then, once the fire was going, I burnt it.  The burning gave me permission to release those expectations and I felt amazing.  It was like a new beginning for me.

9. The boys and I went on a short hike and for some reason I can't remember now, they were very whiny.  I suggested that they whine like hobbits on an adventure, which turned the hike into a wonderful game of Let's Pretend.  My kids are pretty cool, you know.


10. When we got home, we were less exhausted and smelly than usual.  I guess that's because the campsite had facilities and was only 30 minutes from our home.  I kind-of missed the after-camping crash, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surrounded by Love

One of my greatest worries about having four children was that I would not be able to welcome and love my new baby as well as I had the others.  Now that he is here, I feel that he is perhaps the most welcomed and best loved of all my sons.  More on that in a moment. I struggled to bond with Leif in utero, in part because pregnancy was old hat to me and in part because life was busy with too many other things.  The new miracle  growing inside of me was the most normal thing about my life.  There were a few good moments that helped me prepare mentally: doing guided meditations during Christmas vacation, my blessingway on January 6th, and a really good conversation I had with Scott about my hopes and worries.  But mostly, my mind was elsewhere. And then there was the birth.  I should have known that it would be a totally unique experience and that it would prepare me for this totally unique child. Needless to say, I'm crazy about the little guy. Scott has also really taken

What Works for Us: Room Time

I've decided to do a new series of posts on how I make parenting work for us. Every parent does it differently--which is great!--but I have a hard time keeping my discoveries to myself. The things I do may not work for anyone else but I want to record them and remember them. Hopefully, it will also help me vent my soap-box-y-ness so that I'm not always imposing my ideas on other people. That will be what "What-Works-for-Us Posts" are about. One of the things that we have always done, but has made a HUGE difference in the move from one to two children, is Room Time . When Soren was 6 months old, I started having him play alone (in a safe place) every day for a few minutes. At first it was only five minutes in the port-a-crib but we quickly worked up to fifteen, then thirty. At that time, I used those precious minutes to do housework or relax on the couch. When I was pregnant with Carl, Soren would play alone for about an hour in his room and I would usually tak

ABCs

A couple of months ago I was trying to encourage Soren to draw. For 15 or 20 minutes every afternoon, we would sit at the coffee table with paper and pencil. I would draw stick figures and doodles; Soren would watch, his own paper untouched. After a couple of days repeating my usual pictures over and over, I ran out of ideas and started writing the letters of his name. One day I wrote and drew pictures of all the things I could think of that began with S: Soren, snake, superman, spider, stars, etc. The next day we focused on the letter O. It gave me ideas for drawing, which kept Soren entertained even if it wasn't fulfilling its original purpose. A couple more weeks went by and I didn't put any effort into reinforcing the letters. So I was very surprised when, one day while reading a naptime story, he pointed to the page and said very distinctly, "ess". He was, in fact, pointing to an S. And he was very excited about it. So, instead of reading the book, we sp