Skip to main content

Easter 2015

Easter this year butt up right against our family's impending move to Freeport, Illinois.  Although it would have been fun to celebrate newness of life in our own new home, I lobbied for the move to be postponed until the week after Easter.  I wanted to have time for reflection as well as resources for celebrating.

Here are some of the things we did to mark the season:

1. On Palm Sunday, a week before Easter, the kids and I watched the Bible video on lds.org about Christ's triumphal entry.  Then we set up our Easter table and talked about our plans for the week.

2. On Monday night, we planned an Easter program that we would share with our dinner guests on the upcoming Sunday.  There would be music, stories, and scripture readings.  Carl and I spent the week practicing a solo he would sing ("It Shouldn't Be Hard").  

3. Of course, we spent a lot of time that week cleaning and packing.  During all that time, our Easter candle burnt and I kept replacing it so that the light would always shine.  I decorated the table with eggs, a stuffed lamb doll, and flowers--all above a vibrant green play silk.

4. Thursday night was our Passover dinner.  I made unleavened bread, which we ate with hummus and bitter greens.  I put the Easter candle at our table, symbolically inviting Christ to be with us as he was with his apostles that night.

5. A red candle burnt all day Good Friday.  The wax dripped down the candlestick holder and through the cracks in our makeshift Easter table, splattering my shoes underneath.  I put a small bowl with 30 real silver coins in it on the table and changed the green silk for a red place mat.

6. The day before Easter was the first half of General Conference.  My sister, her fiance, and my brothers came to help us clean our apartment.  We washed the walls while listening to the afternoon session.  The apartment was clean and full of activity but our Easter table was nearly barren.  No light shone on the end of our candlestick.

7. Easter morning, the kids woke up with excitement.  That is the feeling I have tried to cultivate about this holiday: lots of stillness and introspection followed by glorious excitement!  Our Easter candle was burning again and the table was festooned with flowers.  Our braided Easter bread was on the breakfast table, surrounded by the kids' baskets.  There was a new pair of jeans and a new collared shirt for everyone, along with the traditional chocolate bunny.  The day was also glorious, with warm inviting weather.  I love Easter morning!  

8. The conference talks on that day were inspiring.  I especially liked Elder Uchtdorf's talk on grace and Elder Holland's talk called "Where Justice, Love and Mercy Meet".  They were wonderful messages appropriate to the day.  

9.  I almost forgot the Easter egg hunt!  Between session of conference, there was a massive neighborhood hunt.  Whenever I think of the Easter egg hunt, I think of the Lord's promise "seek and ye shall find".  Because of His atonement and resurrection, Christ's love and presence are there for us to find, if we seek it.  His Spirit can infuse our lives and, if we seek Him all the days of our lives, someday we will see Him.  Hopefully, we will find that we are like Him.  I don't think that the kids get anything like that out of the Easter egg hunt but I think that someday they could.  Either way, I am glad that they associate Easter with looking for and finding wonderful little gifts.

10.  In the evening, our friends the Johnsons came to dinner.  They brought most of the food; I just made rolls and cheesy potatoes.  After our feasting, our family presented our Easter program.  I accompanied the music on my little harp since the big harps were already packed up and the piano had been given away.  There was a sweet Spirit and definite purpose in our home that night.  We shared our testimonies of the Savior and I was glad to think my children knew for certain what the holiday is about.  I feel (unrighteously) proud of how our Easter traditions work together to bring God's springtime message into the hearts of my children.  



It may have been the best Easter yet.  

A few days later, we were all packed up and on our way to a new home.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
It sounds lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Advice Too Serious for a Baby Shower

This post is a lot more about my feeelings (as Audrey would say) than I usually discuss in this blog but it needs to be written. It probably doesn't need to be written for any of my readers; perhaps it only needs to be written for me. It's about my experiences with Soren as a new baby and the valuable truth I want to remember when I have another new baby. A lot of my friends are pregnant with their first child right now and so this spring has been the baby shower season for me. Baby showers are a great opportunity to give gifts and advice, so I've been thinking a lot about the gadgetry I was most grateful for and the knowledge I wish I'd had when Soren was born. Picking out a baby shower gift is easy. Scott and I knew immediately what material possession made having a baby 10xs easier: our sling. We went without diapers and bottles and didn't use our bassinet or stroller for months. But we would never have survived the first week without the sling we carried So