Skip to main content

Favorites

1. We had a dance party on Sunday.  We were listening to a Fraggle Rock CD Carl picked out at the library and suddenly, we were all up, dancing and singing along.  We have actually been enjoying that CD all week.  Pretty much every time it goes on, we can't help but start singing and dancing.  But Sunday was the best.

2.  Today, during Soren's rest time, I heard him bust up laughing in bed.  When I went in to see what was so funny, he was reading "The Mischief Makers' Manual", a book from his Nan.  It is actually a very funny book but I wouldn't have expected him to understand it.  Apparently, he is sophisticated enough to get the humor of unexpected or embarrassing situations.  Cool.

3. Scott brought home red tulips for Valentine's Day, which was very unexpected and sweet.

4.  We went to visit Madelyn, one of my friends from Interlochen, on Wednesday.  She has two kids a little older than mine and they play together really well.  The neat thing about this particular visit requires a little back story: she converted and then married her high school sweetheart.  They were both french horn players, which was a scandal at the school (inter-studio romance!) and he was a non-member, which was a scandal to me.  But he was always a really nice guy and I was really happy when they got married a couple years after high school graduation.  Anyways, I haven't seen him in 10 years.  But on Wednesday, he was home and I got to say hi!  And he played the horn for Soren.  That was really fun.

5.  We are night-time potty training the boys and it isn't going well.  The reason that this is in my Friday Favorites, though, is because Soren has learned a new skill!  He is getting very adept at stripping the sheets off his bed in the morning!  This makes me a lot less angry when he pees the bed.  Which he didn't even do last night so hooray!

6.  I have been reading a book on piano tuning because our new upright desperately needs it.  One of the things I have been reading about is the construction of the piano, which is fascinating!  Today I took the lid off the instrument and started playing with the action.  This may sound silly but I didn't really understand until now how complicated the piano is!  It is an amazing piece of machinery!  I suddenly realized that the piano represented the cumulative efforts of many many smart people over centuries.  It is made up of many little inventions, all of which combine to make the piano work flawlessly.  And I own one!

7.  I almost forgot: last Saturday we went to a Chinese New Year celebration at the library.  They was a show with lots of really cool dancing.  We were late because it started during naptime so when we got there, not many seats were left and they were pretty much all solo seats.  But the boys were excited to watch so they were brave and sat by themselves in the big auditorium, eyes glued to the dancers.  Carl was especially cute, perched on the edge of his seat with his mouth hanging open.

8.  A couple more girls in our apartment complex have joined the naptime exercise group, which is fun.  We are still doing the Jillian 30-day Shred video but it doesn't feel as much like a shred anymore, which is a relief.

9.  My brother Tim sent me an email from Portugal!

10.  The kids spent some of their Valentine's Day money.  They bought a whole carton of vanilla ice cream at the grocery store.  When they want to eat some, Soren pushes his costume trunk up against the fridge, stands on it and opens the freezer, gets out the ice cream, fetches two spoons, and sits down at the table.  Then Carl and Soren put their heads together over the carton and dig in.  After eating for a while this morning, Soren told me "my stomach is frozen" and then he put the carton back in the freezer.

Comments

Karen said…
I love reading your posts. I miss seeing your boys grow up in person so this is the next best thing. They are at my favorite ages.

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.