Skip to main content

Favorites

1. This may make me a bad mother but ... my favorite thing about this week is that Soren has been grounded from watching/playing Megaman all week long.  This is what happened: On Sunday, we explained to Soren that he was supposed to listen to his teacher and learn about Jesus in Primary.  We told him that he could choose to play Megaman at home or in Primary but not both.  For a few weeks, that has been very effective at curbing Megaman related "shooting" during singing time.  But this Sunday, he karate chopped his teacher, explaining that he was "Sword Man".  Although I was terribly embarrassed on Sunday, I have really enjoyed the reprieve for the rest of the week.  Hooray for my break from Megaman!

2. On of my other favorites was during Sally's lesson today.  I came up with this clever ploy to trick her into performing for a stranger.  I texted my neighbor and asked her to come to my house during Sally's lesson and pretend to borrow a cup of sugar, then to ask Sally to play for her.  It was a perfect plan and it worked out great.  Sally played beautifully and confidently, which was a great experience for her after a disappointing performance for her cousin earlier this week.

3. Scott ordered a tablet last week with some of the money from our tax rebate.  It came in the mail on Saturday and it is a really neat machine!  He says that it makes grading papers and organizing his thesis research easier and more pleasant, which is awesome.

4. Our cat has been very affectionate this week, which is a pleasant change.  He has still been just as bite-y as usual but he also wants to be pet a lot.  And since that's why we took him in, I'm glad he's living up to that expectation.  We like to pet cats.

5. Soren and Carl got Valentines Day cards in the mail from their Great-Grandparents Duede.  It is funny to me how much they *love* cards.  There were $5 in each of the cards, which the boys took out, threw in our coin jar, and promptly forgot about.  But the cards they carried around for days.  Soren drew and wrote all over his, telling me an elaborate story about the anthropomorphic hearts on the front.  And Carl asked me to read his over and over again.  I'm trying to think of a way to get them jazzed about the money.  Then again, maybe I'll just buy them some treats and say they are from Mother and Father Duede.  They don't know what to do with money but they certainly know what to do with candy.

6. I talked to my mom for a couple of hours this morning.  I really liked that.

7. One day this week, the boys were having brother playtime in their room.  And I heard Carl say, "Let's clean up!"  Then he began to sing the clean-up song and put away his toys!  My little boy, cleaning up all by himself!

8.  Another morning, during brother playtime, I heard Soren start to cry.  I was about to go into the room when I heard Carl coaching him down.  Carl said, "I can help you feel better.  Would you like hugs and kisses or the litany against fear?"  Soren requested the hugs and kisses and then I heard them start to play again.  I love having boys that play together and care for each other.

9. I have been really happy this week.  Life in general is good.  Sometimes I can be very self-centered and then I get in a slump when it seems I interpret everything negatively.  I came out of a slump like that early this week and it feels good.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
I love Friday favorites, and this Friday they are especially good!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.