Skip to main content

What Works for Us: Circle Time

There are a lot of things that I want to teach my kids. There are stories I want to tell them and songs I want to sing with them. There are hugs and kisses I don't want to miss and life skills I feel it's important to practice.

In the business of daily life, sometimes it's hard to find time for the time I want to spend with my kids. I hope that I can take advantage of the spontaneous moments that arise but just in case, I try to carve out special time with each boy every day. The way I do this is with Circle Time.

It is easy to take 10 minutes for an individualized Circle Time because both of my boys still have a daily Room Time. So while Soren plays alone in his room, Carl has his Circle Time. Then when Carl plays alone in his room, Soren has his Circle Time.

With Carl, I am currently teaching him to sit and listen to a story, which I hope will transfer over to more reverence during family scripture study in the evenings. So this is what Carl's Circle Time looks like: We snuggle together on the couch, with him in my lap. Then we sing a song and he says a prayer. Then I tell him a very short story. Afterwards we sing another song, share a hug and he is off to play.

With Soren, we are enjoying longer stories and learning verses as well as practicing the music for his upcoming primary program. This is what Soren's Circle Time looks like: We pull out our quilt while singing a song, lay it on the floor and sit down. Then we recite a verse together. We choose a new verse every month and he will usually memorize it by the end of the first week. After the verse, we will work on a primary song. Then I tell him a story (sometimes from the scriptures or from our family but more often an animal fable or fairy tale) while he listens. Afterwards, he tells me a story while I listen. Then we sing again (his choice this time) while holding hands. We can end with as many hugs as we want.

I like Circle Time because it is time already set aside that can be used for any purpose compatible with loving interaction; they won't stay if it is boring or authoritative. It helps us reconnect with each other each day. It also gives my boys plenty of exposure to stories, songs, scriptures, and rhymes. It is a way for me to expose my children to the richness of our language.

I really feel that love and language are all that young children need to learn and thrive. In that way, these 10 minutes a day are my version of preschool and seem sufficient to me for the next couple of years.

Comments

Megan said…
Carolyn, these are such great ideas. I think this is such a fun way to teach your children, you do such a good job!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.