Skip to main content

Different Children, Different Characters

Because I have been writing a lot recently, I've been thinking about plenty of different characters and trying to pin down what makes them distinct from each other.

As a by-product of this, I've been looking at my children through different eyes.  I have been looking at them as characters and watching to see how they will respond in different situations.  And since they are real life (and not the kind of flat fiction that comes unbidden from my clacking fingertips), they are each unique individuals.  They each respond differently to the same stimulus.  Part of that is because of the age differences between them but part of that is all personality.

Here's an example scenario.  This is real life, something that has happened to each of my kids, and they have all responded in a way that tells you something about the singularly special boy that they are.

Here's the scene:  The boy is wearing a T-shirt or sweatshirt with a recognizable superhero logo on it.  An adult notices and smiles at them, then greets them by the name of the superhero whose logo they are sporting.

Soren's response:  Indignation.  "I'm not Superman!  I'm [insert long, foreign-sounding name here]!"  And then he will boycott that article of clothing for the rest of his life.

Carl's response:  Glee and wonder.  "Mom!  That man called me Batman!"  And then he will check his hood to make sure that his bat ears are properly displayed to maximum effect.

Sven's response:  Affection.  "Eh!"  And then he will lean towards the speaker, reaching out his arms and resting his head on their chest if possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches