Skip to main content

Sven's 4th Birthday

Sven is four!  Here's what we did to celebrate:

1. He opened a present from Carl first thing in the morning: a new LEGO set.  Since Sven is four, he is now old enough to play with the real LEGOs in the basement (instead of just the duplos in the nursery).  He has been looking forward to this milestone for months and Carl wanted to help him greet the new age with an age-appropriate gift.  He helped Sven to put it together and then they went to the basement to clear out a bin that Sven could keep his creations in.

2. My mom came to visit--and she brought plenty of party with her.  When she arrived in the morning, we drove to Rockford where we spent the morning at the Children's museum.

3. Of course, we stopped at Taco Bell on the way home.  Whenever we go out for food, the kids want to go to Taco Bell and get quesadillas.  Sven and Leif likes theirs with the spicy jalepeno sauce.  They love spicy, just like their dad.  Since it was a special occasion, we got blue airhead freezes as well.

4. Back at home, Scott put together my mom's present for Sven: a powerwheels mini cooper.  When we got back from the children's museum (and after naptime), Sven got to take it for a spin.  It was probably designed with smaller kids in mind because it doesn't go very fast--but for our electronically-deprived children, it was thrilling enough.

5. I gave Sven a book: Dr. Seuss's ABCs.  Although I have fond memories of that book, I did not anticipate how much he would enjoy it.  He couldn't stop laughing.  Apparently, nothing is funnier than "Barber, baby, bubbles, and a bumble bee."  Go figure.

6. Sven requested macaroni and cheese with chocolate cake and sprinkles for dinner.  The Duedes and the Ahrens came to watch him blow out the candles--and he did a great job!  Maddy made him a birthday card and Nan gave him three new books.

7. Scott gifted Sven a LEGO airplane and while I took Soren and Carl to their den meetings, the two of them put it together.  When I got back, the airplane was nearly complete and Scott said that Sven did most of it himself.  I guess that with two LEGO-pros as elder brothers, Sven was already pretty used to interpreting LEGO instructions.  After the construction was completed, his older brothers admired it and then Sven put it in his bin, which I'm sure will soon contain many more saved creations.

Happy birthday to Sven, my cheerful and fearless middle child.  Many happy returns of the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.