Skip to main content

Soren's Eighth Birthday

When I was a girl, my mom would settle disputes between my brother and I by arbitrating a guessing game.  She would pick a number between one and ten, then invite each of us to guess what the number was.  Whoever guessed closest would win the dispute.  This was her way of choosing who would have the first turn at a game, with a toy, or in the kitchen.  Randomness was, supposedly, more fair.

The only problem with this game was that my mother always picked the same number.  Patrick knew it and so did I.  So rather than having these inconsequential issues resolved randomly, victory always went to the quickest contestant.  The first person to blurt out mom's number would win.

That number was 8.

When I lost the blurting contest, I would whine.  "That's not fair.  You always pick eight."

My mom would smile--how could she smile when life was so unfair?--and say that eight was her favorite number.  "You can get baptized when you are eight," she would remind me.

Back then, I thought that was a pretty lame excuse for letting Patrick sit shotgun.  Now it makes me smile.  I also love the number eight.  It's not a sterile integer for me anymore; it's a potent symbol of rebirth.  And I tell my kids, "You can get baptized when you are eight."

Now, my firstborn son is eight.

He has grown so much this past year.  He has come to understand himself and the world in new ways.  Some of that process was uncomfortable for both of us.  But I look at the boy he is today and I am so proud of him my heart could burst.  He is more humble, more considerate, and more capable than he was a year ago.  He has faced his fear of swimming, discovered and overcome ennui, tried out entrepreneurship, learned a few social graces, and shared his testimony with neighbors.  He's eight and he's great.

So here's what we did to celebrate Soren:

1. The day before his birthday, Soren went on a camping trip with Scott and the Young Men.  He was very excited about that.  Apparently, his favorite part was playing Pictionary, although it doesn't sound much like any Pictionary I've ever heard of.

2. While he was gone, the younger boys and I made birthday cards.  They had science jokes on them.  He liked them, although he did point out to me that I had misspelled "neutron".  I left out the "t", which made it a confusing joke about neurology rather than a clever joke about chemistry.  Oops.

3. When he came home, he brought donuts to share with the family and we ate donuts while he opened some presents.  Scott gave him a raspberry pi, which was probably the most exciting present.  They worked some on getting his first computer up and running, a project I am sure they will revisit many times in the next few months.

4. I gave Soren a game called SushiGo, which was the most used present of the day.  It's a card game and its quick but interesting.  We played SushiGo all day.

5. Then, inspired by the game, we went out for sushi at dinner time.  Nan and Poppy came and it was amazing.  I love sushi and I'm glad my kids do, too.

6. Both Soren's grandparents got him chemistry sets, which was awesome.  He was thrilled to have enough gear to do the experiments with his brother; they are so cute together in their goggles with their test tubes.  We did a couple of experiments that involved mixing and fizzing, which was exactly what Soren wanted.

7. For cake, Soren requested Christmas frosting so we had a green and red cake at the end of the day.


8. But that was not the end for Soren.  I informed him that his bedtime was being extended until 8 pm.  Eight-year-olds get to stay up until 8!  Of course, they also have to help with the dinner dishes ...

A couple of weeks after Soren's birthday, on January 1st, he was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He wanted it to be on the first of the year because he knows (better than I did at his age) that baptism is a symbol of rebirth.  He wanted his fresh start to begin with 2016.

Since Soren's baptism, he has been just glowing.  He said to me the other day, "There are so many things I can do now that God wants me to do!"  And he's right!  He has started keeping a journal and has his own scriptures for personal study.  He opened a bank account so he could start saving money for his mission.  And to teach him about the path of discipleship that he has chosen, we are reading Little Pilgrim's Progress together.  Soren is my valiant Little Christian.

He is happy to be eight.  And after a tumultuous year seven, that happiness is like a rainbow.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
It was a lovely baptism, and it was so much fun having both of our families there for it. Soren is amazing!
breezy8temple said…
That was so uplifting Carolyn! Thanks for sharing. Your children are an amazing example to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk