Skip to main content

Carl's Sixth Birthday

Happy birthday to Carl!  He is six!  He woke up this morning and told me that he could feel his legs growing in the night.  That's because he's getting bigger!

Here is what we did to celebrate:

1.  Most importantly to Carl: there were presents!  He opened up the present from his Grandma first thing in the morning.  It was a great big lego set.  He hurried upstairs to put it together.  But soon enough, he figured out that some of the pieces were missing.  It looked like someone had opened the box in the store and removed the minifigures.  So (at 8 am in the morning), the whole family piled into the car and went to ShopKo to return the set and get a replacement.  Carl was very worried that they would just put it back on the shelf and some other kid would have the same disappointing experience but the shopkeeper assured him that they would send it back to the Lego cooperation to be fixed.  Happy, we hurried home so that the boys could put the set together while I made German pancakes.

2.  Which brings us to breakfast.  I made German pancakes (aka a Dutch Baby) because I think they are the best thing ever.  I don't think Carl is as impressed.

3.  I had to go visiting teaching after breakfast so Soren and Carl went to play at Maddy's house.  When I got back, we had lunch and then the kids and I went to Rockford to play at Monkey Joe's.  It's a bounce house place.  We stayed there for a good three hours.  (As a side note, Soren took The Book of Mormon that I had in my purse and shared it with a girl he met there.  Cool!)



5.  After Monkey Joe's, we got slushies at Sonic for the ride home.  Carl chose cherry flavor.

6.  At home, Carl went back to work on his lego set while I made the requested dinner: orange chicken and red-frosted cake with strawberries.  Carl had invited the missionaries to share his cake with him; they arrived around 6:30.  So did Maddy and Aunt Rachel.  Nan got there after 7, bringing our guest list to 5.

7. The cake was yummy, if messy.  I put in so much red food coloring that the frosting stained all the kids' hands and lips.  It was, apparently, just the way Carl had imagined it, though, so he was happy.

8.  Aunt Rachel brought the very best present: a Lego Airjitzu flyer.  Carl was super excited about it.  He put it together on the spot and spent the rest of the evening making it fly around the living room.  Nan gave him a children's camera and Dad gave him a very versatile tripod for it, so that he can make Lego movies.

9.  I gave Carl a new book, one of my favorites from when I was a kid.  He was politely grateful for it but, of course, it couldn't compare with the nifty flyer.  And that's ok.  I don't need to give the best presents.  We still read it together before bed, which was what I wanted out of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.