Skip to main content

Sven's Second Birthday

Sven is TWO!  (Look out everybody, here comes big trouble.)

This is what we did to celebrate:

1. It was Saturday, so I made our traditional pancake breakfast.  But I shaped the pancakes like letters of the alphabet!  Because that's cool, right?  Sven helped me put in the chocolate chips.

2. After breakfast, I put on Sven's birthday shirt.  It has been sitting, folded and waiting, in his dresser for the past six months.  Today was it's big day to shine!  Once he was dressed, Sven and I practiced telling his age.  "How old are you?"  "Six."  "No!  You're two!"

3. A few days before, Sven helped me pick out a cake.  It was funfetti, of course.  So after breakfast, we mixed it up and put some cupcakes in the oven. Sven was really upset about the whole mixing process.  He seemed to think that everything was ruined.  After an hour in the oven, I started to wonder if maybe he hadn't been right.  The cupcakes baked (and baked and baked) and never really got done.  Unbeknownst to me, our oven was on its way out and couldn't keep temperature.  We didn't figure that out until a few days later.  On Sven's birthday, I just thought I must have done something wrong!  So we mixed up a new cake (lemon this time) and made the cupcakes in a neighbor's oven.


4. While the cupcakes were cooking (which was an eternity, it seemed), Sven opened his birthday present from me: a ball!  Audrey told me that was a lame present but he seemed pretty pleased with it.  He went outside to play right away.

5. After the cupcakes were done, we all went to the Children's museum.  We had an explorer's pass so it was free!  Yeah!  The Homer family came with us, ostensibly so that Sven would have a friend his age there.  But he didn't really play with Charlie.  Two-year-olds care more about toys than kids.

6. We went to the food court for lunch and Sven requested that we eat at "the bear store" (aka Panda Express).  So we shared a panda feast with the Homers.  To accompany it, there were lemon cupcakes with blue frosting and fish sprinkles!  

7. During Sven's nap, Soren and Carl went to DI with me.  They wanted to buy presents, which I thought was very generous of them.  Of course, they picked out stuff that *they* liked.  Soren got a wooden race car; Carl picked some weird pink mechanical bug (sans batteries).  Sven was intrigued by both but they didn't have much staying power.

8. Scott and I went on a date that night, so the boys had man and cheese and more cake with a babysitter.  They love that.  We did sing and do candles before we left.  While we were gone, they got to watch a truly, crummy movie, the kind of garbage their mom would never let them watch.  And they were talking about how hilarious it was for weeks to come, so I think it was good times.

9. Presents from the grandparents came a few days later:  some play food from the Bergs and a board book (Max's Bath!) from the Duedes.  When we move, I plan to buy a play kitchen with money from the great-grandparents.  For now, Sven is flush with new toys and gaining more attitude with each passing day.

Happy Birthday, Sven!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk