Skip to main content

Michaelmas 2014

More than in years past, I have been feeling very keenly the need to gird up my loins and take courage this Michaelmas.  Starting with the official onset of homeschool, I have been feeling intimidated by my own life choices and uncertain about my abilities.  Or, perhaps more accurately, I have been feeling weary of the work and wary of the knowledge that there is only more to come.

It's not just the 18+ years of homeschooling ahead that I need to face with courage.  It is also the impending winter and cabin fever, the rest of this pregnancy, the addition of child #4, and the necessary but uncertain relocation of our family.  And so this season, I have been personally edified more than usual by the stories of courage, endurance, and divine assistance that I tell my children.  They have led me to acknowledge my weariness without abandoning my cause.  They have inspired me to lengthen my stride in preparation for the future.  And they have given me hope that God's grace will carry me through it all.

Here are some of the outwardly festive things we did that instructed and accompanied my musings:

1. The week before, Scott taught our family home evening lesson about Michael the archangel.  It was preceded by about a month's worth of lessons on scriptural symbolism from both of us so both Carl and Soren were ready to tackle even more of the metaphors in Revelations this year.  Soren even identified Michael as a type of Christ.

2. We made a week-long calendar that night, too, planning the things we would do to prepare for and celebrate the holiday.

3. Preparations for Michaelmas were accompanied by a new story for Kindergarten.  The story is called The Strong Boy; I found it down in the comments on this blog post.  Although I have enjoyed telling the story of St. Michael and the Star Children in years past, I felt that this new story really met Carl's developmental needs this year.  It teaches about appropriately channeling strength to worthy causes, rather than using it as a tool to get our way.

4. Although I thought that the kids were a little old for it this year, Carl requested the Michaelmas circle and so we performed that during our outdoor time each Kindergarten day.  I also pulled out the shooting stars, which were received with all the love and excitement I initially imagined for them.

5. We went on a new hike to appreciate the crispness of autumn and practice perseverance.  Soren and Carl looked for goldenrod and Michaelmas daisies, which grew in abundance on the roadside but were completely absent along the route of our hike.

6. On Saturday, we went to pick apples and peaches at the Farnsworth Orchard.  It was a rainy morning and the trees were mostly bare.  However, we did manage to gather enough apples for our feast and enough peaches for our freezer.  Sven did a taste test for us.  Seeing as how he ate even the core, I'm guessing he liked it.

7. Scott and I tried to carve wooden swords for Soren and Carl over the weekend.  We got pretty far but I was too slow to finish in time and Scott cut his thumb pretty badly.  The boys are still excited for us to finish the swords ... whenever that happens.

8. I spent three hours Sunday night cleaning my house from top to bottom.  Getting rid of the cobwebs, changing the sheets, scrubbing all the floors, and dejunking my space left me feeling calm and in control.  When I was finished, I felt capable of courage and ready to face the next day.

9. On the big day itself: I hung a giant banner over the table to surprise the kids when they woke up in the morning.  Scott went into work half an hour late so that he could have breakfast with us: donuts, sausage, and hot apple cider.

10. There was a lot of cooking to be done in preparation for our feast.  We made dragon bread in Kindergarten.  I let Soren "slay" his dragon for lunch then saved mine and Carl's for dinner.  And after lunch, the boys sliced apples, processing about two dozen into little chunks for applesauce and apple pie.  That was probably my favorite part of the day: working with my kids on those apples.  And later, I made mashed potatoes and carrots, stuffed peppers, and a harvest salad while the kids read the books I had gotten from the library (St. George and the Dragon; George, the Dragon, and the Princess; and The Knight and the Dragon).

11. We shared our feast with the Jacksons and--my oh my!--it was a loud feast!  The kids pulled out all our knight-related costumes and cavorted around, more often fighting with each other over the only helmet than fighting any dragons.  But nothing could dampen my spirits so I found the noise to be usually cheering.

12. Before bed, we pulled out the lava lamp for a new season of use and read aloud the story of St. George and the Dragon.  I was really struck this year by how exhausting it must be to fight a dragon.  George keeps at it because it is the right thing to do.  Or, perhaps, because once engaged, he has no other choice.  Either way, it is not his overwhelming strength but his unyielding persistence that wins the day.

May it be the same for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk