Skip to main content

The Best Things about Soren (at 6 and a 1/2)

1. He is generally cheerful and is generous with his good cheer.
2. He talks candidly about his anger, sorrow, and frustration.
3. He loves to read.  His favorite books are manga but I can occasionally catch him caught up in a good chapter book.
4. He has a wild and wonderful imagination.
5. He is excited about homeschooling and first grade.
6. He bonds readily to other adult authorities.  He loves his primary teachers and his swim teacher.
7. He has a beautiful, innocent faith in God's love.
8. He stands up for himself in increasingly positive ways.
9. He is enthusiastic about life and learning.
10. He helps me a lot.  (That is, when I can grab enough of his attention to make a request.)
11. When we go grocery shopping, he can fetch items from the next aisle over.
12. He can also fetch Sven when he toddles down the driveway.
13. He can assemble the ingredients when I am trying a new recipe.
14. He can execute all the different stages of the laundry chore: putting in a new load, switching the load, folding the clothes, and putting everything away.
15. He can play games with Carl and is a good sport.
16. He also can read to Carl and often does during their Brother Playtime.
17. He can dry the dishes lickety split.
18. He can take out the trash.  He enjoys that chore so much that he often volunteers to do it when he is bored.
19. He takes great pride in being able to do things on his own.
20. He has a big personality and I love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.