Skip to main content

Homeschool in April

I have thinking a lot about what I should post this month.  I thought about posting and pretending that everything had gone according to plan.  I thought about posting and leaving out the slacker bits.  I also thought about not posting at all.

I decided that honesty was the best policy.

So here's the honest truth: I just didn't want to do it this month.  So I didn't.

We had an awesome one-week long unit to start the month.  Then we had a very, very long spring break.

Part of the problem was that my neighbor went on vacation.  And I went on vacation.  And there was some time in between when neither of us had a lot of gumption.  And since I didn't have any kids but my own to teach for most of the month, it was very easy for me to opt out.

This is worrisome.  I cannot let this kind of thing happen next year when Soren is doing first grade.

Don't you want to know what I was doing while the kids were running free range?  I was writing a novel.  It's pretty cool.  But I'm having a very hard time finding the balance I desperately need if this is going to continue.  Because I can't spend all day writing and admiring my writing.  If I do that, I won't have time for my regular household responsibilities, not to mention homeschool.

May is a new month.  And it's he last month of our homeschool year.  I am going to finish strong.

In Kindergarten



The Selfish Giant - I love this story by Oscar Wilde and I thought it would be perfect to prepare the kids for Easter.  I won't spoil it for you but I will say that it features all the right things for a Kindergarten story: lots of seasonal details, fantasy elements, and an overtly Christian allegory.  I paired this story with a fun circle game to celebrate springtime.  The kids took turns wearing a green cape and floral crown and dancing around our circle as the personification of springtime.  I made sure to invite all the little girls in our neighborhood for this unit, which was a fun change from our all-boy class.  For nursery rhymes I used "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary" and "Round and Round the Garden".  We also sang "For the Beauty of the Earth".  If I had been thinking ahead, we would have learned "Christ the Lord is Risen Today".


The Nest of Gold and Willie and the Oriole - I did do Kindergarten two other times this month and I chose a different story for each of those Circle Times.  Both stories were about birds (a robin and an oriole) making nests, which seemed appropriate for the season.  After telling the stories, I showed the boys pictures of the birds on the internet and we listened to their calls.  Soren was especially excited about the bird call recordings.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk