Skip to main content

Favorites

1. Soren made a Minecraft Alphabet book for the baby.  Since he couldn't think up items in the game for all of the letters, he made up some of his own.  Like "U is for urine".  His pictures, which are all pixelated are really cool.
2.  Kindergarten this week was AWESOME.  I will probably write all about it in my monthly homeschool update but I just want to say right now that I was really happy with school this week.  It was fun.
3. We played Robot Turtles for our FHE game on Monday night.  This is a new game that we got last month and I really love it.  It teaches kids about basic computation and is really fun.  The goal is to navigate the turtles through a maze (which changes every time) to reach a jewel in the center.  I got to be the "Robot Mover", which means that I pretty much played the role of the computer.  The kids wrote "programs" for their turtles and I executed them.  While making goofy robot noises.
4. The boys got invited to a birthday party at Jump Around Utah on Tuesday night.  Even though my day was super busy, it was still worth it to tag on one more thing just to see their faces while they jumped.  Even Sven had a wonderful time.
5. I wrote a scene in my book on Wednesday that made me really happy.  Mostly, writing has been a rather draining endeavor.  But on Wednesday, I wrote something that I was emotionally involved in and it was exhilarating!
6. Carl and Kylie have been best buds this week.  They have been pretending to be Link and Zelda; it's really cute.
7. Friday was Pi Day!  I made five pies and my neighbors brought over two more.  We had a big pie picnic on the lawn.  The highlight of the event for me was that Emiline came; she's a woman from our ward that I really admire.  I invited her rather last minute and didn't think she would come but she did and seemed to have a good time.  Yeah!
8. Also on Friday, Scott was raised to Master Mason.  He is almost a dues-paying member of his lodge!  I am really glad that he is finally doing the Free Mason thing and that it is every bit as awesome as he thought it would be.  I love to hear his thoughts on the history and the philosophy of masonry and I love the way that going to lodge meetings lights him up inside.  I love how it is strengthening our love of the gospel as well as providing opportunities for Scott to grow into the kind of man he wants to be.
9.  Did I mention the pies?  I made: 2 chicken pot pies, apple pie, berry pie, and key lime pie.  Darcy made a huge (and beautiful) chocolate pie.  Megan made a chess pie.  The chocolate went the fastest.  The chicken pot pie got the most raves.  The apple was my favorite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk