Skip to main content

A Third Name and a Blessing

Dear Sven,

You were given a name and a blessing on May 5th, 2013.  It was a perfect day and you were a perfect angel, happy and sweet.  You wore the family dress, the same dress your father wore thirty years earlier when his father (your Poppy) blessed him.  You were held in a circle of men who love you and hold the Priesthood: your father, your grandfathers, and your great-grandfather.  And the pews were filled with others who love you as well: your brothers, your grandmothers, your great-grandmother, your uncles and aunts, great-uncles and great-aunts, and your mother.  You were our sweet shining angel, bravely come down from heaven to share this life with us.

Remembering you on that day, reminds me of the poem by Thomas Traherne:

How like an angel came I down!
How bright are all things here!
When first among His works I did appear
Oh, how their glory did me crown!

It does seem like all the world was your crown that day.  All God's creations leaned close to hear the pronouncement of blessings upon your sweet head.  And you were richly blessed.

Firstly, you were blessed to have good brothers.  I have thought many times about that phrase in your blessing, especially as I have watched you interact with Soren and Carl.  They have loved you and enjoyed caring for you from the start.  I can remember many times when they have told me, "I am so glad that Sven will be part of our family forever."  Their love and kindness towards you has been a great joy in my life this past year.  In addition, it has always been obvious to me that you adore them as well.  The words of your blessing have given me reason to hope that you three will be good friends and great examples to each other throughout your lives.  That would be a wonderful blessing to all three of you (and a great joy to me).


There are good men who have gone before you, whose name you carry, and you were blessed to remember and emulate them.  Among the people who have carried this name before you, my father comes first to mind.  I named you after him because he is a great man, and worthy of emulation.  Apparently, there are other Svens whose stories will inspire you; I am excited to discover those stories with you.

You were also blessed with strong and capable hands to use the tools at your disposal.  I hope you will use those tools and hands to build up the temple of mankind and the Kingdom of God.

Your Father promised you "glorious insight into God's creations".  This makes me wonder if you will be a scientist, lead by the Spirit to uncover the mysteries of our amazing universe.  Or, perhaps you will be an artist, able to see the Truth and Beauty that is veiled in this reality.  Another possibility is that your insight will be into God's greatest creation: mankind.  Will you be a leader or teacher who can understand the hearts of men?  Whatever you end up doing with this gift, I know that it will be a blessing to you and to those around you.  I hope that you will earnestly seek these glorious insights, because they will fill you with God's light.

You were blessed with easy access to gospel ordinances.  This is a blessing that we, as members of the church, often take for granted.  And so, in the words of your blessing, we were all reminded of what a rare and precious gift that is.  In keeping with that reminder, you were blessed with the desire and courage to share those ordinances and bring the light of the gospel into the lives of others.

In addition to the Light and Truth found in the ordinances of the gospel, you were also blessed with access to knowledge and wisdom handed down through the ages.  We live in an exciting time when the combined knowledge of the world is available at our very fingertips.  Perhaps your father was thinking of wikipedia when he said those words; he has a special enthusiasm for the free exchange of information embodied in the open source movement.  May you share your father's enthusiasm and hold as a rich prize the great corpus of human knowledge available to you.

The end of your blessing was packed with short, little gems: you will be smart and capable with a strong body and a discerning mind.  You are already proving those parts of your blessing to be true.

Surely these are some of the richest gifts our Heavenly Father has to offer.  And complimentary to these gifts, there are great expectations and responsibilities laid upon you.  You were only a small baby when this blessing was given but your spirit was born long before the stars were created.  It was that bright and bold spirit that received these gifts and accepted these responsibilities.  May you always remember who you are.

Love,
Your Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Brother Love

Most of the time, Soren and Carl don't really interact with their new baby brother.  They do their own things, neither commenting nor complaining about our new addition, and he does his own things (eating and sleeping).  But when they do interact, Soren and Carl are really loving to Sven.  Those moments are very sweet to me. Like last night, when Soren asked me if Sven could sit in his lap.  He actually makes that request pretty frequently.  And then he sits there, with Sven cuddled in his lap, looking very proud and happy. Often, one of the boys will tell me very earnestly, "I want Sven to be a part of our family forever."   What mother wouldn't melt at that? In the evenings, after scripture study, Soren likes to make Sven "talk", sharing his thoughts on the day.  Soren uses the same gravelly voice that Scott does to put words in the baby's mouth. "My favorite part of the day was eating," he'll say, while holding up Sven's