Skip to main content

Homeschool in November

Our Homeschool grew by one child this month.  Evelyn, a girl in our neighborhood, turned 3 just a few days after her mom had a new baby.  I offered to take her in my Kindergarten for the rest of the year so that her mom could have some quiet time with the baby in the mornings.  Although she is barely 3, Evelyn transitioned very smoothly into our little group and we really enjoy having her with us.

In Kindergarten

The Frog Princess - For the first week and a half of November, the kids were at the Hutchins' house.  They finished their unit on "The Frog Princess".  Carl told me that he liked the story because Ivan had to have the help of all his friends to defeat Koschei.  As far as summaries go, that is probably the sweetest.

The Elder Brother - The story I chose to spend the majority of November on was called "The Elder Brother".  The text is available at mainlesson.com in the anthology called For the Children's Hour.  (As a brief aside: I love this anthology and used many of the stories from it for my Kindergarten units last year.  The seasonal stories are especially nice as they help to bring our wonderful, changing earth to life for little children.)  "The Elder Brother" is like an extended riddle; the "elder brother" is actually an autumn leaf but this is not explicitly stated in the story.  I enjoyed watching the kids figure that out over the course of a few tellings.  And then, I enjoyed the new sense of wonder they felt about the falling leaves.  On our walks, they would excitedly show me leaves of different colors, naming them all "elder brothers".  I showed them the little buds left on the tree: "little brothers" that would grow into leaves next spring.  The unit was especially appropriate because Evelyn and Michael had new brothers born this month.  To round out circle time, I chose nursery rhymes and songs that were about families: "There was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe", "Rock-a-bye Baby", and "Love at Home".  I taught them to play "I Spy" and one of the days on our walk we raked leaves into a pile (for jumping, of course!).  We also did leaf rubbings for one of our art projects.

Little Jack Frost - The last week we did a (very) short unit using the poem "Little Jack Frost" by Charles Sangster.  I memorized the text word for word rather than paraphrasing, as I do with most of the stories.  Ironically, the weather was especially fine this last week and there was no frost to be seen anywhere.  I am hoping to keep the poem ready for recall when we do begin to see signs that Jack Frost is about.  For a nursery rhyme I chose "Georgie Porgie" (another impish young man) and for a hymn, I taught the kids "I Need Thee Every Hour" (don't ask me why).  Since it was Thanksgiving week, many of the neighborhood kids were out of school and we had a huge crowd at my Kindergarten.  For an outdoor game, I taught them all to play freeze tag.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
You're doing a good job!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.