Skip to main content

Homeschool in October

This month, I have been very glad to be homeschooling.  The shine of public school has definitely worn off for all the neighborhood kids.  This means that I hear a lot of temper tantrums in the mornings in the parking lot.  It also means that Soren has stopped begging for something I know he would hate.  We have been able to stop pining and start gloating.

I'm gloating because:
   * We get to be together.  I love that.
   * I don't have to leave the house when it is cold and dark outside.
   * The kids don't have homework.
   * We have time to go on cool field trips.
   * We aren't in a hurry.
   * We don't have standardized tests coming up.  (Seriously?  Our neighbors are having standardized tests for preschool!)
   * Soren and Carl help out around the house a lot.
   * I get to watch the boys play and observe first-hand how they are incorporating the things they learn.
   * All my former Kindergarten students talk wistfully of the good ol' days.
   * Our curriculum rocks!

In Kindergarten

Tikki Tikki Tembo - The kids went to the Hutchins' house for the first unit of the month and my friend Megan told them the story of Tikki Tikki Tembo.  Soren really took to the story.  He told me that since he was "the first and honored son" that I should have given him a longer name.  He experimented with some variations on his own name for awhile that were pretty fun.  I think he missed the point of the story entirely; it is Tikki Tikki Tembo's ridiculously long name that gets him into so much trouble!  On the last day of the unit, Megan made rice cakes with the kids.  Scott said they tasted very authentically Chinese.  No one but Carl really liked them.  However, Carl liked them enough to make up for everyone else.  He plowed very steadily through the whole batch!

The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin - I wanted to tell a spooky story for the second unit of October but I remembered how upsetting that was to Soren last year and decided against it.  Instead, I picked a Beatrix Potter book called The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin.  It's about a family of squirrels who gather nuts on an owl's island, which makes it a great story for fall.  The text is full of very old-fashioned riddles, which I memorized and used in the telling.  The riddles were a huge hit!  The boys enjoyed the silly language and I enjoyed listening to them speculate about what the answers might be.  They didn't solve any of the riddles correctly but their ideas were certainly inventive.  (Carl is pretty certain that Hitty Pitty is a spider.)  I chose nursery rhymes about nuts to accompany the stories: The Leaves are Green and I Had a Little Nut Tree.  I wanted to make buckeye candies with the kids as part of this unit but another neighbor made a huge batch for a catering job and shared some with us.  So we just ate hers and didn't make more.

The Frog Princess - For the end of October and going into November, Megan is doing a unit on a little-known Russian fairy tale: The Frog Princess.  As all good Russian fairy tales do, it features the unusual witch Baba Yaga as well as an evil lich whose death is hidden in something like a living turducken.  It's quite a bit more serious and complicated than the stories we usually chose for Kindergarten so I will be interested to see how the boys respond to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.