Skip to main content

Carl's Fourth Birthday

We celebrated Carl's fourth birthday in Illinois with Scott's family.  In fact, Carl thought that his birthday was the whole reason for the trip!  I'm glad that he felt special, even though we didn't plan it that way at all.

Here are some of the things we did to celebrate:

1. Very first, he opened some presents.  When my parents came to visit in July, they left presents for Carl's birthday, which have been hanging out in our living room ever since.  Because of their constant presence, Carl has been very excited to open them.  We packed them up in the car to take with us and he finally got to open them first thing in the morning on his big day.  There were 3 sets of finger puppets and books to go along with them!  He promptly went to play with them in Nan and Poppy's den.

2. When Nan woke up, we went to Krape Park.  There we met up with Aunt Rachel, Uncle Ash, and Maddy.  Scott pushed Carl on the swings for a long time.

3. At Krape Park, they have a 50-cent carousel!  As a birthday present, Aunt Rachel bought 3 tickets for everyone.  Carl rode first with Uncle Ash, then with me, and then with his dad.  He loved it.  I got really dizzy.  I guess that means that I am growing up, too!

4. After lunch, Nan gave Carl her present: the complete collection of Captain Underpants comics.  We read some before naptime.  Carl's favorite parts were the flip-o-rama pages.  There are two pages (both on the right side of the book) that look very similar and when you flip the page between them back and forth really fast, it looks like the picture is moving!

5. Later in the afternoon, Nan set up the slip-n-slide.  Maddy came back over to play and she showed Carl how much she enjoyed playing the water.  He was skeptical at first but really got into it by the end.


6. When we were getting ready to sing "Happy Birthday" and eat cake, we realized that there were no birthday candles in the house.  Scott said that he saw a video on youtube of some Russian guy lighting a crayon on fire (it's made of wax and covered with paper) and everyone agreed that it sounded like a great idea.  Unfortunately, American crayons are papered with less flammable paper than Russian crayons, I guess.  The crayon would not light as it was.  So Scott doused it with alcohol.  He struck a match, lit the (now very flammable) crayon and instructed everyone to sing very quickly.  It worked well enough and was certainly more memorable than some crummy old store-bought candles.

7. The birthday cake was of special note.  Scott's dad has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and can not longer eat gluten.  That means no wheat flour (among other things).  With so very many birthdays on this trip, that could have been quite a trial for him.  But Rachel rose to the challenge and made four gluten-free cakes while we were visiting.  The one for Carl's birthday was chocolate with strawberries, as he requested, and was delicious.  The surprise ingredient? Pureed quinoa!

8. Before he went to sleep, I told Carl the birthday story.  I told him about how he came to our family on a hot day in August and how we took him to the park to let him lay in the sunshine the very next day.  When he was 1, he learned to talk in complete sentences before he could walk.  When he was 2, we moved to the Riviera and he befriended everyone in the apartment complex.  When he was 3, he learned to help out around the house, ride his balance bike, draw, paint, write his name, dress himself, and walk for miles.  I told him how proud I was of him and how excited I was to watch him grow this year.

9. The next day, Uncle Ash wrote an awesome song to celebrate Carl.  It speaks for itself:


10. When we got home from our trip, Carl was so excited to tell everyone that he was finally four!  He went to all the neighbors houses to tell them the good news.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
You forgot to mention the birthday song that Uncle Ash wrote for Carl!

Katherine Wolf said…
I'm sad that I missed your stay in Illinois! Tell me when you come back!
Carolyn said…
I did forget the song! I will edit this post to include it.

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.