Skip to main content

The Best Things About Carl (at 3 and a 1/2)


1. He has a fantastic smile.  But featured here is his "fierce face", which I like a lot, too.
2. He stands up for everyone.  When Soren is angry at one of us, it is sweet to hear Carl say with gusto, "But mommies/daddies are special to our family!"  He also tries to negotiate justice when neighborhood kids get hit or have their toys taken away.
3. He loves to dance, especially to my Harry Belafonte cd.  I am glad we can share a love of Calypso.
4. He mimics writing in his drawings a lot.  Although he doesn't know the alphabet or how to write the letters, he frequently labels his pictures with letter-like symbols and then tells me what they say.
5. He is left-handed.  It makes his dad proud.
6. He has a imaginary friend.
7. He also battles imaginary enemies in the living room nightly.
8. He is friendly and really likes to be around other people.  He likes to go visiting and have visitors.
9. He likes to mop the floors with me and he has finally figured out how to wring out the rag.
10. He likes to snuggle with me when he first wakes up from his nap.  I still have enough room on my lap to enjoy this.
11. He is excited about his new baby brother.  He talks often about where the new baby will sleep, sit in the car, or what toys he will play with.
12. He likes to feel the baby moving in my belly.  He thinks it's hilarious and will wait very patiently for it.
13. He knows how to ham it up, which is hilarious.
14. He quickly memorizes the text of books he has heard only a few times, then recites them to himself while looking at the pictures in bed.
15. He loves singing time in primary.  He often tries to conduct his own singing time activities at home.
16. He gives very sweet compliments like, "I like you beautiful hair today" or "Thanks for this yummy breakfast."
17. He knows the rules of our family and follows them, even when I am not present.  My friend told me that she asked him the other day if he wanted more barbeque sauce with his lunch and he said, "No, I need to finish my food first."  This is because we have a rule in our family that you don't have to eat anything on your plate but you do have to finish it all if you want more of anything.
18. He has a strong desire to be independent.  He wants to do things by himself and is growing more capable of that all the time.
19. He likes to help me cook.  His favorite thing is to roll out tortilla or roti dough. He is actually getting better at it aka his rounds are getting thinner.
20. He still naps!  Hoorah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.