Skip to main content

Soren's Fifth Birthday

I can't believe it has been 5 years since Soren was born!  I remember the hospital staff wheeling him into my room, clean and beautiful, small enough to fit into a Christmas stocking.  Sometimes it seemed like he would never be big enough to do anything and now it feels like he has grown up in the blink of an eye.

This is what we did to celebrate his big day:

1. My brother and sister came up from Provo to play with the kids all day.  The boys *love* their aunts and uncles, who have loads of energy and enjoy raucous games.  So that was a special treat.

2. The first thing that Soren did when he woke up was make an invitation for his neighbor, Ethan, to come to a birthday party.  I had not planned on inviting any kids over for cake because I thought Soren preferred adult company.  But I guess he knows that birthdays mean having other kids over so he took some initiative.  He wrote the invitation and delivered it all by himself, inviting Ethan (who is 3) over for cake at 6 o'clock that night.  He decorated the invite with Ethan's favorite Thomas the Tank Engine trains.

3. We went to library storytime.  Soren decided a few months ago that he doesn't like to go to storytime so he browsed while Carl attended.  One of the stories they told was a puppet show of the gingerbread man and after storytime, all the kids could decorate their own gingerbread men.  Well, of course, Soren was interested in that.  He meticulously frosted and decorated his cookie and then ate it all.

4. When Paul, the librarian, found out that it was Soren's birthday, he gave him a new book called Weird but True.  It is a book of random facts and Soren spent a few hours in the afternoon reading it.  He periodically told me cool things from it like: African elephants have ears shaped like the continent of Africa.

5. When Scott got home from school, Soren opened his birthday presents.  Scott and I got him a piggy bank and told him that he would start getting an allowance now that he is 5 years old.  He was pretty excited about that.

6. Nan and Poppy got him a new movie (Brave) and Grandma and Grandpa got him a K'nex set.  We also used some of the money he got from his great-grandparents to buy him a new game called Animal Upon Animal.

7. He played with K'nex for the rest of the afternoon while I made his special birthday dinner.  He had requested spaghetti and meatballs as well as a "train cake".  The spaghetti and meatballs was easy but the train cake required a little creativity.  I think it turned out great in the end, though.

8.  Brother and Sister Lanier, his primary teachers, came for dinner.  Soren loves Brother Lanier more than any other person outside his family, so that was really special.  Sister Lanier is 9 months pregnant, so we weren't sure they would be able to make it.  When they showed up at our door, Soren was so excited and surprised!  He was jumping around like crazy and hugging them both in what I'm sure was a rather obnoxious way.  But it was really sweet.

9.  After dinner, Ethan came over for the cake which you can see in the picture.  In addition to the cake with candles, we had lots of other mini-cakes that the kids decorated with frosting and candies.

10.  Before bedtime, I told Soren a story about himself.  I told him about how he was born on a cold winter day in December 5 years ago and that the nurses wrapped him up in a stocking.  When he was 1, he learned to walk and talk and among the first words he learned were the letters of the alphabet.  When he was 2, he first started to draw and he has loved to make artwork ever since.   When he was 3, he taught himself to read.  When he was 4, he was in Brother Lanier's primary class and he learned to be kind and cheerful.  And at the end of the story, I told him that I was excited to see what he did now that he was 5 years old.  Which is true.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
That sounds like a wonderful birthday! I love you Soren!
MKHutchins said…
Soren is so big! I knew, math-wise, that he'd be turning five, but it seems like not very long ago he was so little. I'm glad you all had a great birthday!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.