Skip to main content

I Love Schedules!

and it seems I make a new one every season.

This past summer, I pretty much took a break from scheduling and just let my life run free!  I didn't get much done but the kids kept themselves reasonably entertained and my house didn't catch fire, so that's great.  Still, with autumn coming and Scott back in school, I find myself craving some more predictability.  And since I have more energy than I did this summer, I want a plan for accomplishing the stuff I want to.

My friend Michelle and I were feeling about the same way at the same time so we spent last week cooking up some awesome schedules.  This week, we are putting our honor on the line and holding each other accountable for sticking to them.  By the end of the week, we hope to make a few tweeks and then be ready for a productive autumn!

Today was Day One of The New Super Schedule and I *love* it!

Here's the plan:

7 am - I get up and read the scriptures.  Then, the kids get up and get dressed.
8 am - We have breakfast together.  Then, Carl plays alone in his room while Soren and I do housework.
9 am - Carl stays in his room and Soren has free play (which usually means he chooses to write at his desk for awhile); I can plan out my day or take a shower.  We all leave the house sometime after 9:30 for our OUTING!  Mondays - groceries, Tuesdays - errands, Wednesdays - gardens, Thursdays - library, Fridays - visit friends, Saturdays - park or other family outing, Sundays - church
10 am - still out
11 am - We come home and have a snack (except on library day and Sunday, when we stay out until lunch).  Then Soren plays alone in his room while Carl and I do housework.
12 pm - Soren stays in his room and Carl has free play (which usually means tagging along with me); I can make lunch.  We sit down for lunch by 12:30.
1 pm - Home Kindergarten (inspired by Waldorf Kindergarten)!  We pick up Carl's friend Ethan for our own "school": songs, nursery rhymes, stories, a nature walk, then art.  Mondays - paint, Tuesdays - play dough, Wednesdays - crayoning, Thursdays - scissors and glue, Fridays - handwork
2 pm - Rest Time is the best time!  The kids go to bed.  Soren reads and Carl sleeps.  I exercise then visit with Michelle.
3 pm - Kids still resting.  I am free to do WHATEVER I WANT.
4 pm - Soren and Carl get up at 4:30.  They have a snack, then have "Brother Playtime" in their room while I fix dinner.
5 pm - "Brother Playtime" continues until 5:30, when we eat dinner together.
6 pm - The whole family can go outside and play in the yard, except on FHE night (which is Wednesday this semester).
7 pm - The bedtime ritual has begun: bath, pajamas, scriptures, prayer, story, song, lights out!
8 pm - Unless there is a planned activity for the evening, I can use this time to work on my compositions and Scott can write his novel.

The plan worked FANTASTIC today!  Bits I especially loved:
* Getting up early is hard but it starts my day off right.
* I loved doing housework with both of my boys; Soren is big enough to complete a task by himself and Carl is big enough to "help" with what I'm doing.
* Also, "free play" is great.  The kids look forward to having free time about the house for a small amount of time rather than having free time about the house all day and whining that they are bored.
* And Home Kindergarten is something we all look forward to.  I especially hope that lasts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.