Skip to main content

Favorites

1. Spring break!  Scott has had very little work to do this week and we have all enjoyed having him around more.  I love watching him play with the kids and they love to be around him.

2. Pi day!  We had a pi day party on Wednesday.  Not very many people came but it was a wonderful excuse to make lots of pies.  I made pineapple and key lime as well as a quiche and 2 chicken pot pies.  Scott made an amazing berry pie.  There were tons of left-overs ... and still are.  But we're not complaining!

3.  D'Aulaire's Book of Trolls.  This is quite possibly the best picture book ever and Carl has been loving it.  It's fun to read with beautiful illustrations a rich, mythic feel.  I figured it would be pretty good (given how much we enjoy D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths) but I didn't know it would be even more awesome!

4.  We have a couple of extra kids at our house tonight and I enjoyed watching my sons interact with them.  Soren was totally absorbed in building with his Legos and while the kids played next to him for awhile, they eventually left him alone, happily constructing what he told me was Salt Lake City.  Carl, on the other hand, was in the midst of the action and soon had the other two kids eating out of the palm of his hand.  "Watch this, Carl!"  "Come over here, Carl!"  "Look at me, Carl!"  "Wow, you did it, Carl!"

5.  Scott is reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and it has been interesting conversation fodder.  I am excited to read it when he is done.

6.  The sunshine this week has been wonderful.  We have taken a walk everyday and have shed our coats as the week wore on.  We have also started letting the kids run around outside in the evenings, which is nice.  I keep trying to remind myself that we have at least another week of winter as well as some typically windy, wet spring but I can't help but hope this year will be different and we will have nothing but sunshine from now until September.

7.  The next favorite requires a bit of background.  Scott always told me that when he was a kid, his mom would mandate "attitude adjustments" whenever they were in a foul mood.  She would have them smile and hold it for ten seconds to help them get a grip.  The past few days we have started implementing "attitude adjustments" to hilarious results.  The kids respond really well to our request to "smile!" and the smiles they make only become more funny the longer they have to hold them.  It has been a life-saver because we are all so whiny this week, due to the time change.

8.  I got a lot of good advice from my neighbor for my primary class and I am excited to implement some of her ideas on Sunday.  I want to make primary less tedious but I also want to impress upon my kids how important it is that they are respectful during lessons, especially sharing time.  We'll see how things go but I am feeling a lot more positive about it than a was a week ago.

9.  I devoured a few Dragonlance books this week and Scott picked up the slack in the housework and childcare.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the books (Dragons of Winters Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning, and now Time of the Twins) and by how well the house ran while I read.  Thank you, Scott!

10.  I rearranged the kids room again today.  I love to move their furniture and rotate their toys!  I am a little alarmed, however, by how frequently I find myself doing this.  I think it has become an almost weekly ritual.  It makes me really happy to do it but I think that's probably because I get a false sense of accomplishment from making things look so very different than they did before.

11.  Patty read The Way of Kings!

Comments

mk said…
I checked out The Way of Kings! And I put a library request in for that troll book. I'm excited to talk to you about it!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk