Skip to main content

Soren's Fourth Birthday

Soren's birthday was really busy because we were also getting ready for Pat and Lyndsey's wedding.  I was really glad that my parents were there, though, because they helped to make it really special for him.  This is what we did:

1. As soon as Soren woke up, I wished him a happy birthday.  Then, I went to the bathroom.  While I was gone, he hurried out to the living room and opened his present!  I was a little dismayed to come out and see him already playing with his new toy (a pretend cash register) but, after thinking about it a moment, I was really proud of him.  He had been waiting all week to open that gift and hadn't touched it until that moment.  And he knew that on his birthday he could have it.  So he took it!

2. Scott and I went to the temple for Lyndsey's endowment.  While we were gone, Hannah and Owen came to play and Aunt Breezy watched them all.

3. When we got back from the temple, we made Soren's special birthday lunch: macaroni and cheese.  (Bleh.)

4. During Carl's nap, we made Soren's chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  He was very very excited about that.

5. We went to the house my parents were renting for a party in the evening!  My mom had decorated it and was making fried chicken for dinner.  Soren and Carl liked the party favors and especially enjoyed blowing those annoying party whistles.  Grandma and Grandpa Berg were there as well.  Grandpa Berg wore a party hat!

6. After dinner, I brought out the cake with candles.  This is the first time that we have done birthday candles for any of the kids.  We sang the birthday song (Soren sang along) and then he blew out the candles!  He did an awesome job: only two blows.

7. He got a lot of fun presents from my family.  Aunt Breezy gave him a book about anatomy, UnclePat gave him money (he liked the card better), my mom and dad gave him a costume box with lots of fun costumes, and Scott had picked out Season 1 of Fraggle Rock.


8. Soren and Carl spent the night at my parents' rental house. I imagine that they stayed up late watching cartoons.  Brianna said they didn't get to bed until at least 11 pm.

I think he had a pretty good morning because when he woke up the next day, he wanted to do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.