Skip to main content

Sven's First Sign

Yesterday morning, Sven used his first sign: "All done."

He was standing up in the high chair, so I sat him back down.  Then I asked, "Are you all done?  Would you like to get down?"

I reached to grab his hands and help him say "all done".  But before I could get there, he was flipping them back and forth and making an approximation of the sounds all on his own!  So I swooped him up, kissed him, and took him for a bath.  He was very happy.  That was exactly what he had wanted.

Then, this morning, he used the sign for "more" while making a very distinctive "mo" sound.  However, he did not actually want more.  When I tried to give him another bite of cereal, he pursed his lips and turned away.  So I asked, "Are you all done?"  Once again, he lifted up his hands and flipped them: palms in, palms out, palms in, palms out.  I put down the spoon and lifted him out of the high chair.

This is such a fun age!  He is learning so much.  It's fun to see him trying to communicate with sounds and signs.  He is also learning to understand what my communication means.  He has started putting his toys away when I sing the "clean up" song, coming to me when I call him, and backing down from tempting items when I say "no".  At least, sometimes.

He also loves to copy my sounds.  It won't be long before he is talking up a storm!  This is just the beginning.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
Aww, baby signs! How cute is that!

Popular posts from this blog

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.