Skip to main content

Soren Speaks

I sent Soren to my neighbors house to return a game he had borrowed.  He was gone for about 5 minutes, then dutifully return home.  When he opened the door he said:

SOREN: I have a message for you.

ME: Oh, thank you.  What is it?

SOREN: I sent it to you with my mind.

ME:  Well, I didn't get it.  Will you please tell me out loud?

SOREN:  I think this language is better: sign language.

ME: But I don't speak your sign language.  Will you please tell me in English?

SOREN: I will tell you in English and sign language.

ME:  Ok.

SOREN: (pausing between each word to make up a sign) I ... have ... a ... message ... to ... How do you make a t-o in sign language?

ME: (showing him the signs in ASL) This is a "t" and this is an "o".

SOREN: ... to ... give ... you. ... Sister ... Cowart ... says .... (making air quotes) "hi."

Comments

Oozaroo said…
Well thank goodness he got that important message to you!

Popular posts from this blog

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.