Skip to main content

Milestone: Babbling

I love listening to Carl yammer away.  His babble has become much more interesting lately, almost like he was really trying to say something.  There are occasional groans, spits, and squeals but he also makes a wide variety of speech sounds.  And I love it.

A woman I admire advised at a baby shower that we should have "conversations" with our pre-verbal children.  She said that she would pretend she could understand her babies, comment on their babble, ask them questions, and wait patiently for responses.  I think about that whenever Carl gets really going.

But Carl never lets me get a word in edgewise.  He just keeps jabbering away, experimenting with a constant stream of sounds.  Since any of my "conversation" would be fake and meaningless, it seems rude to interrupt.  And so I just listen, totally under his spell, pleased just to listen and love.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
I will never forgot these two stories about Jenna when she was a baby - one time she babbled off a long string of 'talk' and then threw back her head and laughed like she had just told the funniest joke in the world, and another time when she was babbling away and holding a stuffed bear - at the end of the babble she said, "Grrr!"

Popular posts from this blog

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.