Skip to main content

Milestone: Vocabulary Explosion!

Soren's linguistic development has really taken off all of a sudden, to the endless delight of his parents. His vocabulary is blossoming at a rate of one or two words a day when he used to only learn one or two a month. Everyone tells me is normal (not extraordinary) but it is still very exciting to watch happen.

He uses words to communicate now, not just as coincidental by-products of a situation or emotion. He loves to identify things: animals, household objects, and even the letters of his name.

Yesterday he used my very favorite word: "mom". Up to this point, he has never referred to Scott or I as "mom" or "dad", although he has enjoyed identifying his "dad" in pictures. But yesterday, while he was playing with his Aunt Breezy, he started squirming to get away, then pointed at me and said "mom". I don't want to get all sappy on everybody, though, so I won't tell you how that made me feel. I'll just say that although that word has been a l-o-n-g time coming, it still feels good to hear it.

It's been entertaining to watch Soren develop physically (from rolling over to scooting and pulling up, crawling to walking) but his mental development is much much more exciting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk...

Birth Announcement

Sven Immanuel Duede March 7, 2013 at 3:56 am 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 22 inches

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.