Skip to main content

Favorites

1. Last Saturday, some new friends invited us (and all our favorite gamers) to their house for a Murder Mystery Party!  It was so much fun!  I played a ruthless wannabe gangster woman, daughter to the murdered man and madly in love with my very own unapproved Romeo.  That would be Scott, who played a murdering Frenchman!  He studied French accents all afternoon while I sewed him a beret.  We had a blast!  And so did everyone else at the party.  We all loved it so much, we're going to do another one in a few weeks at our apartment.

2. Soren has been helping me cook all week.  Whenever I am working in the kitchen, he comes and asks if he can help--which I love!  He usually just dumps cans and stirs batter but I love it!  I'm wondering if he is too young to learn knife skills ... under extreme adult supervision, of course.

3. Another favorite: backpacks.  My sister bought the boys backpacks for Christmas.  They have been excited about using them but I didn't really see the use, since they don't go to school.  But this week, everywhere we went I let them load up their backpacks and pack them around.  It's wonderful!  They pack their own stuff and I don't have to carry a diaper bag anywhere!  For example, they carried their own books to the library, their own change of cloths to a friend's house, and their own pajamas and blankies to our date night.  Sweet!

4. Scott and I went to the family history center on Wednesday.  It was not very productive but I am excited to go back. We are trying to find Carl Duede.

5. I reorganized the kid's bedroom this week.  That is one of my favorite things to do!  Owen naps at our house twice a week now so I wanted him to have a semi-permanent place to sleep.  So I moved everything around and had an opportunity to get all the legos out from behind everything.  Moving the room around also refreshes the kids' play.

6. Games!  Games!  And more games!  We played Ticket to Ride with Andrew and Breanne on Sunday, Arkham Horror with Carter on Monday, Hollow Earth with Cody, Sherise, Michelle, and David on Tuesday, and SAGA Dragonlance with Steve, Logan, James, Mark, and Eljay this evening.  I especially enjoyed playing SAGA.  My character is *awesome*, probably my favorite character EVER.  I know this because I don't want her to die so I can start over.  That is really rare.

7. We had Sherry over for dinner on Sunday night.  She is deaf and lives at a nursing home up the street.  Scott interprets church for her.  I liked watching Scott sign and Soren mimic him.  Soren's made up signs are really funny.

8.  I went to visit Anny today.  It's been a long time since I've seen her so that was really fun.  Our kids loved playing together.  She has all girls and all kinds of different toys at her house (read "girl toys").  My favorite part was when her daughters covered Carl's head in flower boys.  He looked like a walking bouquet!

9.  Oh, and the trial week of my schedule went AWESOME!

Comments

MKHutchins said…
I'm going to sound like a walking ad...but I couldn't keep Thomas out of the knives (he wants to cook so badly) so we got him one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Chef-Medium-Nylon-Plastic/dp/B002QC5YYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1327812965&sr=1-1

It does pretty well with soft things, and even hard things like carrots, but only if they're cut into sticks first -- then they dice fine.

I'm glad to hear you've all had such a great week!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.