Skip to main content

What Works for Us: Take a Break

It can be really hard to live with a toddler (not to mention two!).  In a not-so-recent The Onion article, a "reporter" teased that toddlers have been found to be bi-polar.  I certainly feel that way about my kids sometimes.  One minute they are dancing and laughing and playing happily by themselves; the next minute they are screaming "I kill you!", throwing themselves to the floor, screaching, sobbing, or lashing out aggressively. 

This kind of behavior is undesirable.  It drives me crazy and is really embarassing in public.  It is not the way mature people handle themselves.  It won't make them any friends.  I definitely want to help my children grow out of temper tantrums.

In my zeal to eliminate temper tantrums and all "excessive" displays of negative emotion, I used to have mini temper tantrums myself.  I would haul the offending child by the elbows to his room (screaming louder than he was) and chuck him unceremoniously on his bed. Then I would slam the door and not open it until he had stopped his crying. (This is not the way mature people handle themselves.)

However, I increasingly feel that punishing my sons for expressing their very real frustrations is counter-productive.  Here a few of my reasons:
1. I want them to confide in me.  To gain their trust, I must listen to their anger and sadness as well as their happiness.
2. Their behavior is developmentally normal, meaning that they simply don't yet have the skills to control their raging humanity.
3. It seems to me that preventing a verbal expression of anger does not make the anger go away.  It merely channels it to even more destructive paths: physical and then behavioral expressions.  My children will, with time, learn to verbally express their frustration in a socially acceptable way.  Until then, I sure don't want them to switch from verbal to passive-aggressive.
4. Most convincingly, I think about how the people who love me best respond to my illogical emotional outbursts: they listen.  My husband especially is good at listening, letting it all pour out of me, and offering nothing but support and affection.  That makes me feel good.  I can do that for my kids.

My solution: to take a break.  Whenever my children are experiencing uncontrollable emotions, we both go lie down on my bed.  They know that my bed is no fun but it is a place where they can express themselves until they are calm. Often, I need the break as much as they do.  I sing calming songs, we recite scriptures, and sometimes we just snuggle together.  Other times, we lie on opposite sides of the bed, the boy screaming and me breathing deeply, until we are ready to make peace.

It is the only truly wonderful "disciplinary measure" I have ever enacted.  We start angry and contentious; we end feeling a greater bond of love and strength.  It is a great way to connect with toddlers and I hope it will be a tradition we can continue, no matter how old we get.

Comments

Oozaroo said…
I think that is an absolutely brilliant way to handle emotional outbursts, and you are so smart to think of it!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk