Skip to main content

Family

I decided last week that I was going to start doing the dishes in the evening rather than letting them wait until morning. That small change has given me a new perspective on my family and an added opportunity to love and appreciate my husband.

In order to do the dishes, I need to spend about 20 minutes in the kitchen directly after dinner. Soren is very clingy about that time of day but Scott has started playing with him while I work. They usually assemble legos or puzzles together on the living room floor, which is a good opportunity for Soren to demonstrate the verbal and physical prowess is developing. Scott often hurries to grab the camera and take videos of Soren's extensive babbling. I can hear them laughing and it makes me unbelievably happy.

I didn't know it would become such a precious time of day to me or I would have implement such a plan a long time ago.

After I finish the dishes, I often come sit on the living room floor with them. Scott and I curl up together and watch Soren play. It makes me so happy and grateful for my family.

Somehow that small change (doing the dishes after dinner) has cemented in place more time for all three of us to spend together before Soren's bedtime. There are only 2 hours between when Scott comes home from work and when Soren goes to sleep. And a lot of that time is taken up by eating and feeding. Yet, listening to and watching my man and my boy play together for a few minutes helps me to slow down and appreciate the time we do have together.

We are going to be together as family forever. But Soren will never be like he is today ever again. Our family is permanent but each precious moment passes so quickly, never to be regained. I'm glad Scott and Soren have some time to get to know each other every day now. And I'm glad that I've found a way to slow down and enjoy them both.

Comments

Victoria said…
I hate doing dishes more than any other household chore...and I have finally, after 25 years of marriage, gotten to where I mostly do them at night and don't wait for morning... good habit to start now. Don't wait 25 years! I buy myself Williams-Sonoma dish soap to make the kitchen sink a friendlier place for me :)

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.