Skip to main content

Babies are Teachable

Yesterday, April Clauson and I went to a mommy-and-baby institute class. The topic of the class was discipline but it was assumed that none of the material we were learning would be used for a few years. The teacher doesn't think that children under the age of one are teachable. She was mostly giving us pointers for the future. A lot of it seemed like good advice for right now, though. I really feel that there are important things Soren can--and should--learn right now.

Babies learn quickly about cause and effect. Soren knows that if he holds the sippy cup up, he gets juice and if he doesn't, he doesn't. He knows that if he scoots to the door of his room and bang on it during room time, I'll know he's done playing and I'll come and get him. He knows that if I put him in the crib, he won't get out until he's slept. I believe these correlations started to kick in around six months. Although he may not have any notion of morality, my 9-month-old son is still capable of learning boundaries and functioning happily within them.

One of the ladies at the institute class gave a really great sugestion. She commented that a lot of mothers just get tired of saying "no" and not being answered. She said that she picks her battles very carefully and tries to eliminate the possibility of any other battles. She has babyproofed her house, except for one item in every room. She and her husband have conferred about that item and decided that they will not let the baby touch it. If she does, the parents say "no". The second time she touches it, they say "no", then pick her up and put her somewhere else. If she persists, they remove her from the room.

Scott and I talked about this last night and decided that it was a great idea. We have been trying, half-heartedly, to keep Soren under control in the living room. He is so excited about touching everything but some things are not for babies to touch. We know that he does not understand the implications of what he does but we also believe that he is teachable. We choose the DVD player in the living room to be our off-limits item and made a pact to remove everything else from the coffee table and put it out of reach. Making a conscious choice to enforce the "no console touching" rule made it easy for us to persist in correcting Soren. In addition, he had the rest of the living room to freely explore, even if he wasn't allowed to touch that one item.

I left for my Relief Society meeting last night and Scott practiced saying "no" about the DVD player. Now, today, I can see a difference. When Soren pulls up to touch the shiney buttons, he looks at me, wondering what I'll do. He already knows that he's not supposed to touch! If I say, "no" he sits down and crawls off to find something else. He has learned that particular boundary and learned it very quickly!

It reminds me of when he was first eating solid foods. He would put his hands in his mouth with the food that I gave him and smeer it all over his face. I started saying "no" and restraining his hands whenever he put his fingers in his mouth. That behavior ceased overnight. He is very smart and there are some simple things I can expect from him. But more than just keeping him clean, it is rewarding to watch him learn. He is happier now that he knows how to stay out of trouble. It is better that he doesn't touch the television than that he plays with it until he messes something up and gets pulled away crying.

In spite of what they might say, Soren is teachable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Potty Training Journey

February 2010 GOAL:  My initial goal was to introduce Soren to the toilet and make it a fun place to sit.  I have to admit that I also hoped that we would have some fortunate "accidents" that would lead to potty training success. STRATEGY:  My plan was to sit Soren on the toilet once a day and read him a couple of stories.  If he peed, I was planning to give him a candy. THE BAD NEWS:  The candy totally backfired.  The one time that he peed on the toilet, I gave him a candy and he had a full-on tantrum begging for more.  If I ever told him "When you pee on the potty, you can have a candy", he would begin screaming for the treat and be unable to focus on the toilet training. THE GOOD NEWS:  Soren was not afraid of sitting on the big toilet.  He actually really enjoyed it (when I was reading stories and not pimping rewards) and started asking to sit there any time his butt was bare. J June 2010 GOAL:  My goal was to potty train Soren within the month of June

Cake for Breakfast!

I was getting dressed when it suddenly got very quiet out in the living room. Soren had been contentedly babbling a moment ago and now it was silent. I'm sure you can imagine me, rushing half-panted down the hall, hoping nothing horrible had happened. At our last visit, my pediatrician filled my mind with horror stories of infant death; now gruesome scenes were flipping through my mind like a slide show on speed. Or like the scary tunnel in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Expecting a disaster, I was relieved when this was what I saw in the living room: The night before, I'd left a slice of left-over cake on the arm chair. We'd had company and Soren had been in bed. When I'd forgotten it at the end of the evening, it had been far from my son's greedy grasp. But this morning, when it was still left behind, it was within easy baby reach and too unusual for him not to explore. No wonder he was so quiet! He'd been experimenting with an unk

Milestone: New Syllable

This feels like such a silly thing to report about but it's got me tickled pink. Today Soren learned, what I feel, is the most important of all the English syllables: "ma". And it's about time. After months and months of hearing nothing but "da da da da" all day long, it's a refreshing change. I'm pretty sure that "da da" and "ma ma" don't correlate to anything in his mind yet. Still, he's that much closer to calling me his "mama" and I can't say the approximations don't warm my heart.